Greater than 50 million folks have been ordered on lockdown in central China, with a journey ban masking 16 cities within the central Hubei province, the place the virus was first encountered. Right here’s what we all know:
● A 3rd an infection was introduced in the US, a Chinese language traveler from Wuhan. Infections have additionally been confirmed in France, South Korea, Japan, Nepal, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Taiwan and Australia. We’re mapping the unfold here.
● The mayor of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak, stated he expects at the least 1,000 extra circumstances of an infection to floor.
● Well being Minister Ma Xiaowei stated Sunday that the transmissibility of the virus is rising, whereas the vice minister of trade, Wang Jiangping, stated China couldn’t produce sufficient medical provides to deal with demand.
● The sale of wild animals has been banned at some point of the disaster. A wild-animal market in Wuhan is broadly seen because the epicenter of the outbreak.
● Journey bans have been prolonged in central China, placing tens of hundreds of thousands of individuals successfully on lockdown. In Wuhan, the place the virus was first detected, workers are racing to build at least three pop-up 1,000-bed hospitals. The state of affairs is particularly dire within the countryside, the place the medical infrastructure is poor. Beijing stated there have been no plans for a journey ban within the capital.
BEIJING — Chinese language well being authorities are extending this week’s Lunar New Yr holidays and deploying greater than a thousand medical doctors and navy personnel to the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak as infections skyrocket and desperation grips the quarantined province of Hubei, the place greater than 50 million persons are on lockdown.
America introduced a 3rd case of the coronavirus — a Chinese language traveler from Wuhan who took sick in Orange County, Calif….